Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grunge

A lot of scrapbooking backgrounds and embellishments have a lovely distressed look to them. This seems to be very popular with both traditional and digital scrapbookers. I certainly like them.

Here is an example of one particular background that I really like, and it is a good example of what I am talking about: http://backgrounds.picaboo.com/Backgrounds/BGViewEntry.aspx?entry_guid=96057cfe7f6e43009a871e4501a63a71&catid=0&subcatid=0

But there are tons of them. Well I've been trying to figure out how to do this. The stock textures you get with Paint Shop Pro, and I imagine most other applications, are too uniform to achieve a look like this.

Well in my quest to figure out how to create this distressed look I've come across a term: grunge. Grunge brushes, grunge textures, etc. I have only begun my quest to create the perfectly grunged background. I haven't figured it all out yet. But I did come across this tutorial for how to make grunge brushes. It says it is written for GIMP or Photoshop, but Paint Shop Pro has all the same tools. I think it can easily be adapted. Haven't tried yet.

http://www.shadow-logic.net/2008/08/13/grunge-brush-tutorial/

But I have a whole new eye for taking photographs now! I want to take photographs of dirty, icky, scratched, marred, beaten, weathered anythings so I can use them to make grunge tools in my quest for the perfect scrapbook background!

Oh, and check out www.grungetextures.com for some grungy photos already available!

No comments:

Post a Comment